Rochester AMVETS

Sunday, January 23rd, I attended a ceremony presented by Post #1 Rochester AMVETS.  This ceremony was to recognize three students, one from Gonic School, and two from Elizabeth Seton.  The Gonic student is Lauren Noble.  This is from an Americanism Poster contest from Spring of 2010.  These students finished second and third in the national contest.   The AMVETS provide programs for students at Gonic School, Maple Street School, School Street School, Nancy Loud School, Elizabeth Seton School, and this Spring hopefully expanding to McClelland School and to Spaulding for Ninth Graders.  I sat next to a State AMVETS official.  He told me how difficult it is to get cooperation in most of the schools in MA and NH.  He told me the local Post appreciates our support.   

What sets AMVETS apart from other VSOs?
Unlike the other organizations, membership in AMVETS is open to anyone who is currently serving, or has honorably served, in the U.S. Armed Forces from World War II to present, to include those in the National Guard and Reserves.