Big Step Forward

Last night John Shea presented the Big Step Forward study to a group of parents and community members.  Mr. Shea presented the proposed study during the first 20 minutes.  A question and answer session  followed.

Some of the ideas involved using part of Spaulding High School or the Community Center as another school instead of another building.

The importance of parent and community involvement in any plan, and any educational program was emphasized.

The community members felt that this was a worthy issue to study, but there are many doubts about its implementation.

This is the first of many meetings and public forums on this topic.

Thanks,

Mike Hopkins

Superintendent

Rochester, NH

hopkins.m@rochesterschools.com

17 thoughts on “Big Step Forward

1. It’s great that we are looking at reforming how our kids learn…the drop out rate, high truancy problem and less than stellar test scores warrant change…I just have concerns that we might get involved with pushing some social or political agenda…with organizations like UNESCO already having an effect on school curriculums, we need to ensure that our schools stick to teaching things that help our kids have productive lives in a free America based on a capitalist free market society…

2. Whatever is decided, just don’t increase spending! I want my property taxes lowered not raised!!!!

3. We have a unique opportunity, change education without increasing local property taxes. Spending may increase, but it needs to be from sources beyond local property taxes.

Our agenda is not social or political, but how do we provide the best education for students in Rochester. We all understand the economic restrictions.

4. We certainly appreciate the opportunity to be included in the discussion…especially because this is such an important issue that affects everyone…the School Board/Department has taken a real leadership role in transparent government in Rochester…

5. This is an intersting study on the Washington Scholarship Fund program started in Washington D.C. in 2004…this 5 year pilot program is part of the school district’s attempt to provide a better education for kids…the program is aimed children who come from lower income families…what I found most interesting were the comments about the more challening curriculum from years 1-3 and then the findings in year 4…this program appears to not only be delivering on a higher quality education, but it also seems to be improving parental involement with their kids education…http://www.washingtonscholarshipfund.org/news/news/SCDP_FULLREPORT.pdf

6. Big Step Forward is not unique… just examine some of the language, philosophies and methods and you will see it’s cookie-cutter and what you’ll get from all the reformers and consultants who are looking to make money off the taxpayer dollars that go into education.

Don’t be tricked. Most of these new programs ARE focusing on the social and political and the ‘change’ they offer is not going to produce what you think you wanted.

Who are these people? What is their background? What is the track record of the program they are selling you?

What do all the words mean, or are they just edu-babble intent on confusing or applying lofty characteristics of praise that are undeserved?

For example, constructivist and project based learning are proven failures.
    Examine and question the language and you will then know what it’s going to be like.

This should help:

http://www.illlinoisloop.org/lingo.html

7. http://mathematicallycorrect.com/

FUZZY MATH (?) TAUGHT IN ROCHESTER SCHOOLS

Mathematics achievement in America is far below what we would like it to be. Recent “reform” efforts only aggravate the problem. As a result, our children have less and less exposure to rigorous, content-rich mathematics .

The advocates of the new, fuzzy math have practiced their rhetoric well. They speak of higher-order thinking, conceptual understanding and solving problems, but they neglect the systematic mastery of the fundamental building blocks necessary for success in any of these areas. Their focus is on things like calculators, blocks, guesswork, and group activities and they shun things like algorithms and repeated practice. The new programs are shy on fundamentals and they also lack the mathematical depth and rigor that promotes greater achievement.

Concerned parents are in a state of dismay and have begun efforts to restore content, rigor, and genuinely high expectations to mathematics education. This site provides relevant background and information for parents, teachers, board members and the public from around the country.

8. Mr Leonard,

You points are very interesting. Could you direct us to your sources that support your statement that recent reforms have aggravated mathematical achievements in America? Where are your facts that have helped you to form such an opinion? It sounds like the proponents of fuzzy math are not the only ones who are “practiced in their rhetoric”

As one of the concerned parents you mentioned, I at times I have questioned “the new” math. But, not because it does not work, more because I am unfamiliar with it. Just because we don’t understand how a new teaching method works does not mean we should automatically condemn it. From your lack of supporting evidence, this seems to what you are doing.

I have seen my children actual learn from these techniques. Yes, sometimes some of the methods do not work. No system is perfect, not even the old way of teaching math is. But our teachers are smart enough to know what works and what does not and make adjustments when necessary. Recently, my oldest son’s teacher decided the “lattice multiplication” method was not working and changed to teaching the more familiar way we all grew up with.

Is the new math working? I can’t say, but certainly will be looking into it more. Do I understand it’s methods? No, but I certainly will not be passing judgement until I do and see reputable research showing if it is helping our hindering our children.

9. First of all, you obviously have access to the internet, so I suggest you educate yourself and make your own decision…that’s what I did and it’s why I came to the conclusion that I did…if you don’t like my opinion, I can’t help that…what’s really important is what you think and what you’re willing to communicate to the people who are providing an education to your children…having said all that, here are a couple links for information that I used to draw my conclusion…there’s tons more, but this should kick start you – no charge!

http://eklhad.net/chimath.html
    http://teachourkids.net/index.html
    http://www.illinoisloop.org/mathprograms.html